I want to help you every step of the way in planning your photo session. The wardrobe choices you make are as important as the location of the shoot. I am a strong believer in dressing in a way that is authentic to you but below are a couple tips in helping you make choices from your closet. The clothes should compliment you but not take center stage. I am not a fan of everyone wearing the exact same color or pattern in a family photo but I do like some repeating colors or complimentary colors. I suggest that you bring a small suitcase or bag of accessories, sweaters, fun jackets and I will bring some accessories as well. This will give me the ability to help stylize your look and give us a variety of looks throughout your photo shoot.
1. Check out Pinterest for inspiration (see my pins) or check out the pictures below.
2. Mixing or adding texture
Soft nubby sweaters, a lace scarf, a cute knit hat, dresses or socks with ruffles- items like these add dimension and interest to photos
3. Don’t forget about the shoes
Cute shoes can make a picture and not-so-cute shoes can ruin a picture. Please no brightly colored gym shoes- unless we are doing an athletic photo session.
4. Accessories can change up a look with little effort
Look for cute scarfs, hats, vintage pieces, and jewelry that can tie your wardrobe together. They can add an element of whimsy and fun to the photos in addition to adding texture.
5. Look at how joyfolie.com, Gap, Children’s Place, J. Crew style their models (check out “looks we love” or their advertisements)
6. Multiple layers
Multiple layers not only looks very current but will give us different “looks” with very little effort.
7. If doing a family shoot, do not have one person wear ALL white. In group photos viewer’s attention/eye tends to go to the person wearing all white.